Designing Studies and Writing Grants
Implementation Science 201
- Hendricks Brown, JD Smith, and Nanette Benbow (Northwestern University) present a follow-up workshop focused on identifying the defining characteristics of trials testing implementation, providing a basic understanding of experimental designs for implementation research, and outlining the key challenges of designing and conducting an implementation trial. (85 minutes)
Hosted by the Center for Prevention Implementation Methodology for Drug Abuse and HIV in collaboration with Third Coast CFAR.
Study Designs for Implementation and Hybrid Trials
- Hendricks Brown (Northwestern University), ISC3I 2019 Summit
“TIDIRC: Study Designs in Implementation Science” (video), presented by Greg Aarons (University of California San Diego) as Part of the NCI Training in Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer.
- Landsverk, J., Brown, C. H., Smith, J. D., Chamberlain, P., Curran, G. M., Palinkas, L., . . . Horwitz, S. M. (2018). Design and analysis in dissemination and implementation research. In R. C. Brownson, G. A. Colditz, & E. K. Proctor (Eds.), Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health: Translating Science to Practice, Second Edition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Brown et al. (2017). An overview of research and evaluation designs for dissemination and implementation. Annual Review of Public Health, 38, 1-22.
- Hwang et al. (2020). Designs and methods for implementation research: Advancing the mission of the CTSA program. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science. doi:10.1017/cts.2020.16
- McNulty et al. (2019). Implementation Research methodologies for achieving scientific equity and health equity. Ethnicity and Disease, 29, 83-92.
Mixed-Methods and Qualitative
- Palinkas, L. A., & Cooper, B. R. (2018). Mixed methods evaluation in dissemination and implementation science. In R. C. Brownson, G. A. Colditz, & E. K. Proctor (Eds.), Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health: Translating Science to Practice, Second Edition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hamilton, A. B., & Finley, E. P. (2019). Qualitative Methods in Implementation Research: An Introduction. Psychiatry Research, 112516. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.112516
- Elwy, A. R., Wasan, A. D., Gillman, A. G., Johnston, K. L., Dodds, N., McFarland, C., & Greco, C. M. (2019). Using formative evaluation methods to improve clinical implementation efforts: Description and an example. Psychiatry Research, 112532. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.112532
- Smith, J. D., & Hasan, M. (2019). Quantitative approaches for the evaluation of implementation research studies. Psychiatry Research, 112521. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.112521
- Miller, C. J., Smith, S. N., & Pugatch, M. (2019). Experimental and quasi-experimental designs in implementation research. Psychiatry Research. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.06.027
- Eisman, A. B., Kilbourne, A. M., Dopp, A. R., Saldana, L., & Eisenberg, D. (2019). Economic evaluation in implementation science: Making the business case for implementation strategies. Psychiatry Research. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.06.008
- Smith, J. D. (2012). Single-Case Experimental Designs: A Systematic Review of Published Research and Current Standards. Psychological Methods. doi:10.1037/a0029312
- Landes, S. J., McBain, S. A., & Curran, G. M. (2019). An introduction to effectiveness-implementation hybrid designs. Psychiatry Research, 280, 112513. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.112513
- Curran, G. M., Bauer, M., Mittman, B., Pyne, J. M., & Stetler, C. (2012). Effectiveness-implementation hybrid designs: combining elements of clinical effectiveness and implementation research to enhance public health impact. Medical care, 50(3), 217-226.
- Garner, B. R., Gotham, H. J., Tueller, S. J., Ball, E. L., Kaiser, D., Stilen, P., … & Martin, E. G. (2017). Testing the effectiveness of a motivational interviewing-based brief intervention for substance use as an adjunct to usual care in community-based AIDS service organizations: study protocol for a multisite randomized controlled trial. Addiction science & clinical practice, 12(1), 31.
- Garner, Bryan R., Mark Zehner, Mathew R. Roosa, Steve Martino, Heather J. Gotham, Elizabeth L. Ball, Patricia Stilen et al. Testing the implementation and sustainment facilitation (ISF) strategy as an effective adjunct to the Addiction Technology Transfer Center (ATTC) strategy: study protocol for a cluster randomized trial. Addiction science & clinical practice 12, no. 1 (2017): 32.
TIDIRC: Implementation Science Measures
- Cara Lewis (Kaiser Permanente Washington) provides an introduction to D&I measures. (35 minutes)
Part of the NCI Training in Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer.
- “Dissemination and implementation measurement compendium” – a systematic review of structural, organizational, provider, patient, and innovation level measures by Chaudoir, Dugan, & Barr (see associated paper below).
- Grid-Enabled Measures (GEM) Database, Dissemination and Implementation Initiative, from the National Cancer Institute – a collection of outcomes and associated evidence-based measures to inform D&I research and practice.
- Instrument Review Project at the Society for Implementation Research Collaboration – a repository of instruments for measuring implementation constructs, complete with psychometric properties and pragmatic considerations. Must be a member of SIRC to access.
- CFIR Guide – a comprehensive guide to the Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research, including definitions of constructs, qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis tools, and other resources for using CFIR.
- RE-AIM Framework website – a comprehensive guide to the RE-AIM framework, including measures and tools to support its use.
- EPIS Framework website – a comprehensive guide to the Exploration, Preparation, Implementation, Sustainment model, including measures and tools to support its use.
- Chaudoir, S. R., Dugan, A. G., & Barr, C. H. (2013). Measuring factors affecting implementation of health innovations: A systematic review of structural, organizational, provider, patient, and innovation level measures. Implementation Science, 8, 22.
- Rabin, B. A., Lewis, C. C., Norton, W. E., Neta, G., Chambers, D. Tobin, J. N., Brownson, R. C., & Glasgow, R. E. (2016). Measurement resources for dissemination and implementation research in health. Implementation Science, 11, 42.
- Lewis, C. C., Fischer, S., Weiner, B. J., Stanick, C., Kim, M., & Martinez, R. G. (2015). Outcomes for implementation science: An enhanced systematic review of instruments using evidence-based rating criteria. Implementation Science, 10, 155. doi:10.1186/s13012-015-0342-x
- Kessler, R. S., Purcell, E. P., Glasgow, R. E., Klesges, L. M., Benkeser, R. M., & Peek, C. J. (2013). What does it mean to “employ” the RE-AIM model? Evaluation and the Health Professions, 36(1), 44-66. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278712446066
D&I Grant Writing
- Brownson, R. C., Colditz, G. A., Dobbins, M., Emmons, K. M., Kerner, J. F., Padek, M., Proctor, K. C., & Stange, K. C. (2015). Concocting that magic elixir: Successful grant application writing in dissemination and implementation research. Clinical and Translational Science, 8(6), 710-716.
- Proctor, E. K., Powell, B. J., Baumann, A. A., Hamilton, A. M., & Santens, R. L. (2012). Writing implementation research grant proposals: Ten key ingredients. Implementation Science, 7, 96.
- Aron, D. C., Lowery, J., Tseng, C., Conlin, P., & Kahwati, L. (2014). De-implementation of inappropriately tight control (of hypoglycemia) for health: Protocol with an example of a research grant application. Implementation Science, 9, 58.
- Mugwanya, K. K., Irungu, E., Bukusi, E., Mugo, N. R., Odoyo, J., Wamoni, E., …, the Partners Scale Up Team. (2018). Scale up of PrEP integrated in public health HIV care clinics: A protocol for a stepped-wedge cluster-randomized rollout in Kenya. Implementation Science, 13, 118.